Directed by Lewis Milestone
Produced by Lewis Milestone
Written by Harry Brown & Charles Lederer
Story by:George Clayton Johnson & Jack Golden Russell
Sammy Davis, Jr.
Music by Nelson Riddle
Cinematography William H. Daniels
Editing by Philip W. Anderson
Distributed by Warner Brothers
Release date(s) August, 10, 1960 (U.S. release)
Running time 127 minutes
Country United States
Firstly I must say that the original version of Ocean’s 11 is much cooler than the George Clooney/Brad Pitt franchise of movies from the 2000s. It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, but Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr. are just so much cooler than George, Brad and Matt Damon. Even Joey Bishop and Peter Lawford are sort of cool, but perhaps the only reason for that is because they hung around Frankie and Dino.
This is not to say that the original is a great movie… it’s not even a really good movie as I undoubtedly think that the remake from 2001 is a lot better, it’s just that the Rat Pack are so much cooler than anyone else. It could be because they were just mucking around during the filming of this film and spent most of their time partying, or that Sinatra was a part owner of The Sands or that he was hanging around real gangsters.
I think that this is such a cool film perhaps solely due to the mystique of the Rat Pack. This film is so cool that Quentin Taratino paid homage in Reservoir Dogs. George Clooney may be considered cool to some, but he is just play acting when compared to Sinatra. The finale of the film has also become so iconic and is an instant image of the coolness of the Rat Pack. Who else would have their characters walk past a huge sign featuring their own names? I think that if you want to see how cool a film can be, just watch Ocean’s 11.
It also features a couple of Dean and Sammy’s hit songs too.
The film is just one big party rather than a movie. And you better believe that, Charlie!
- Blu-ray Review: Ocean’s 11 – 50th Anniversary Edition (blogcritics.org)
- Blu-ray Review: Ocean’s 11 (50th Anniversary Edition) (popdose.com)
- John Farr: The Best Of Sinatra On Screen (huffingtonpost.com)
- Music Review: Christmas With the Rat Pack (blogcritics.org)
- Memories made of Christmas with Dean Martin (telegraph.co.uk)
- Film on TV: November 1-7 (rowthree.com)
- Dukes to turn Niagara into Hazzard County (thestar.com)
- Music Review: Christmas With the Rat Pack (seattlepi.com)
- Hey, Some Friars Members Are Younger Than the Jokes (cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com)
- The Soundtrack of Our Souls (online.wsj.com)