Directed by Mel Brooks
Produced by Michael Gruskoff
Written by Mel Brooks & Gene Wilder
Starring Gene Wilder
and Gene Hackman
Music by John Morris
Cinematography Gerald Hirschfeld
Editing by John C. Howard
Distributed by 20th Century Fox
Release date December 15, 1974
Running time 106 min.
Country United States
Young Frankenstein is Mel Brooks at his best and is perhaps his 2nd funniest film after The Producers. I feel that it is slightly better than Blazing Saddles, although those three films are the undoubted high points in Mel’s long career in Hollywood.
For those of you who haven’t seen it, Young Frankenstein is a parody film of the 1930s and 40s Boris Karloff Frankenstein films as well as other movies in the 1930s/40s monster genre. Unlike parody films that a made today such as the horrendous Epic Movie, you can tell that the makers of Young Frankenstein actually love the films they are parodying and the movie can be seen as a tribute to those films.
The performances of the cast is great, especially that of Gene Wilder as young Dr. Frankenstein and Marty Feldman as Igor. I do find Feldman constantly breaking the fourth wall to be one of the highlights of the film. There are a lot of great jokes and sketches, especially the scene where the monster goes into the house of the blind man, which is a parody of a scene from Bride of Frankenstein. This is one of the funniest scenes in the movie and Gene Hackman is very funny as the blind man, as are the reactions of Peter Boyle’s monster.
This is a great and very funny film that is one of my all-time favourites and I give it the highest of recommendations.
- Mel Brooks’ Young Frankenstein Explores Familiar Territory (laist.com)
- The Behind the Scenes Pic of the Day must have an enormous schwanzstucker! Woof! (aintitcool.com)
- This Week In Crazy Campaign Commercials: A Young Frankenstein Parody? (mediaite.com)
- Reverend’s Reviews: Frankenschtick (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Threatre Review (LA): The New Mel Brooks Musical Young Frankenstein by Brooks and Meehan at the Pantages (blogcritics.org)
- Mel Brooks’ musical ‘Young Frankenstein’ (sfgate.com)
- You: Theater review: ‘Young Frankenstein’ at the Pantages (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- FlexTk Express v4.2.30 (lockergnome.com)
- Young Frankenstein (variety.com)
- 11 reviews of Mel Brooks (rateitall.com)
- “Young Frankenstein” revived on L.A. stage (reuters.com)
- Reverend’s Interview: Puttin’ on the Ritz with Young Frankenstein (pinkbananaworld.com)