Another month down and I am still as keen as ever to keep this thing up. During February I saw some really great films. I think that the films that I watched during this month were generally of a higher quality than those I watched in January. Some of the movies that I watched during this month were all-time classics.
Alfred Hitchcock was my director of choice this month, as I watched six of his films. Of those North By Northwest was the most enjoyable but I also liked Rear Window, The 39 Steps, Foreign Correspondent and The Wrong Man a lot. Spellbound was a good movie as well even though Ingrid Bergman spouting off psychoanalytical jargon every time she opens her mouth is a bit distracting.If you have never watched a Hitchcock film then I dare say that it is time that you did as his work is just so enjoyable. The Third Man is another enjoyable British film that features a lot of Hitchcockian elements, as well as fine performances by Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles.
The funniest film that I saw during February was probably The Court Jester, but I did like School Of Rock too. Other fine comedy films include Francis and Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein whilst Chaplin’s The Kid is a bit more sentimental than funny, although there are a few humourous sequences. The General was another Buster Keaton film that I was disappointed with, just like I was with Steamboat Bill Jr. last month. The General worked more as a historical drama than as a comedy, in my opinion. I also found that while Sailor Beware was funny, it was just typical of most standard Martin & Lewis comedies.
- Invictus – Recommended
- The Simpsons Movie – Recommended
- The Wrong Man – Recommended
- Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein – Highly Recommended
- The Third Man – Very Highly Recommended
- Mystery Of The Wax Museum – Recommended
- A Night In Casablanca – Recommended
- The 39 Steps – Highly Recommended
- Foreign Correspondent – Highly Recommended
- Avatar – Very Highly Recommended
- The Return Of Frank James – Recommended
- Clash Of The Titans – Recommended
- The Incredible Shrinking Man – Very Highly Recommended
- Spartacus – Highly Recommended
- Spellbound – Recommended
- The Court Jester – Highly Recommended
- Born Free – Highly Recommended
- Francis – Recommended
- Sailor Beware – Recommended for Martin & Lewis fans only
- The Kid – Recommended
- Grease – Recommended
- The General – Recommended
- Rear Window – Very Highly Recommended
- School Of Rock – Highly Recommended
- Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo – Recommended
- North By Northwest – Very Highly Recommended
- Bad Day At Black Rock – Highly Recommended
- Pulp Fiction – Very Highly recommended
The films that I enjoyed the most would be North By Northwest, Pulp Fiction, The Third Man and The Incredible Shrinking Man, with Avatar rounding out the top 5.
I also must note that my review writing skills have actually gone backwards as time goes by. I often find that after watching a film I am lost with what I want to say and that thinking about what I want to write can affect my enjoyment of the chosen film. I still am going to stick with this thing and maybe if I get a chance I will rewrite what I have written in my reviews. I do acknowledge that most review writers make more than one draft of what they write while I mostly just write what is on the top of my head.